Need Answer

Hi, I have been getting the following message very often:

"Word cannot open this document template. (C:\... \CitaviWordAddin.docm)"

Please see the attached screenshot.

Can anyone help me with how to fix it?

Thank you in advance,

Replies (6)

photo

I just got another error message and an OK button to disable the Citavi add-in. I pressed OK, and my file was deleted. Fortunately, I recovered it from OneDrive Recycle Bin. I must say here that I access my word file from my OneDrive folder.

However, I could not record the message. So, I would say that Citavi has become a pain in the neck.

photo

Now I got this message, "Word is running into problems with the 'swissacademic.citavi.wordaddin.connect" add-in. If this keeps happening, disable this add-in and check for available updates. Do you want to disable it now?" I pressed 'yes' to disable the add-in. But the Word does not allow me to enable it again.

photo

I don't know why I can't see my earlier message here. My file was deleted immediately after I received the above message. Fortunately, I could recover the file from my OneDrive Recycle bin.

photo

My Citavi version is 6.

photo

I had a similar problem a while back.

You can reactivate the add-in by clicking on the File menu in Word, then clicking on Options (right at the bottom left hand corner).

When the Word Options window opens, click on Add-ins. Down at the bottom of the Add-ins tab, there's a menu called "Manage" (in my attached screenshot, it's labeled with the red arrow). Select COM Add-ins, then click on the Go button.

That should bring up a window with a list of all your installed Word add-ins. If you disabled the Citavi add-in, then its checkbox should be empty. Click on the checkbox, then click on OK.

Word may or may not ask you to restart to activate the plug-in, I can't remember.

If this doesn't work, and you still have the same problem with Word not being able to find the .docm file that seems to have originally caused the problem, you will probably need to reinstall the plug-in. The instructions to uninstall and reinstall the plug-in are here on Citavi's online user guide. For some reason, the uninstall instructions are after the installation instructions in this link, but at least following the steps in the Citavi help guide means that you only reinstall the add-in and don't have to reinstall the whole program.

photo

Thank you for your detailed reply. In fact, I have already tried these steps and didn't experience the problem for a while. But it pops again, which is really frustrating. I also use Endnote, which I got for free from my University. But don't experience an add-in problem in Endnote.

Here, I must mention that all my word files are stored in my OneDrive.

photo

I also seem to have this recur from time to time. It's a pain, and I agree that I haven't had problems with the Endnote plug-in, which I used for the entire duration of my masters degree.

It's definitely not a OneDrive issue, because I experience the same problem even though my files are all stored locally.

photo

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's very helpful.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach file (NO confidential documents!)