Template doesn't apply if previous reference is in a multiple citation

Przemysław K. shared this question 2 months ago
Need Answer

Hello. I have another problem with custom styles.

I am changing a style called "Przeglad Historyczny" so it has shortened references if they are cited again. So instead of eg:

Michał Auch, Wczesnośredniowieczne naczynia szkliwione z terenu Małopolski, wyd. 1., Wydawnictwo Instytutu Archeologii i Etnologii Polskiej Akademii Nauk, Warszawa 2016, s. 11–13

We have this when it is mentioned again:

Michał Auch, Wczesnośredniowieczne naczynia..., s. 11–13

I have made a template that is basically:

[Author] [Custom field for short titles] [, S. quotation range] with: [previous reference is in a previous footnote (but other footnotes without references may appear between those footnotes)].

And it basically works, except for one situtation. It seems the above condition doesn't work if the earlier footnote was in a multiple citation.

So for example if my first reference to the book was in a multiple citation, then every other reference to the same book will NOT be shortened. It will always show in the basic/default template. This is not something I want. I want every next reference to the same book be shortened even if the reference is alone in the footnote or as a multiple citation.

Currently to address that I had to add 3 more templates, each with [previous reference is part of a multiple citation, /at beginning/in second or later position/at end] but it feels like a terrible solution.

Is there a more graceful way to address that? Frankly I would be perfectly happy if there was at least a condition [previous reference is part of a multiple citation] that doesn't check its exact position [beginning/middle/end]. But it seems there isn't such condition.

EDIT: Okay actually even "[previous reference is part of a multiple citation [...] ]" doesn't seem to fix the problem. In this case for some reason every reference in a multiple citation gets shortened even though it wasn't referenced before... I am honestly clueless how to deal with it.

Leave a Comment

Attach file (NO confidential documents!)