Template for Consecutive Custom Field

Eugene M. shared this question 3 months ago
Answered

Hi,

I have been able to put together a working citation style for Hebrew. However, one of the common features for Hebrew bibliography is to transliterate an author's name after its first use, thus if one cited a book written by "Magid" the next footnote would transliterate it to מגיד. For this purpose I have used the Custom Field 1, so that I retain both the English and Hebrew transliteration. Many Hebrew journals still use idem/eadem (and the Hebrew equivalent כנ"ל), however, I have not figured out how to make a template that would recognize that if a consecutive references are used that have the same author, but have now been changed to reflect the transliteration to show up as idem if a new English reference is used .

Likewise, how to set a template that would change the Hebrew references to show as כנ"ל (The Hebrew equivalent of idem).

In the attached example, I have placed consecutive references to different articles written by Elliot R. Wolfson, however, as some appeared earlier in the document they have been transliterated to be וולפסון, but in theory the correct citation would be for it:

וולפסון (לעיל, הערה 2); idem, ‘The Body in the Text: A Kabbalistic Theory of Embodiment’, The Jewish Quarterly Review, 95 (2005); כנ"ל (לעיל, הערה 2); כנ"ל (לעיל, הערה 2).

For Hebrew references I have been able to have it automatically become כנ"ל since they all retain the author component in the style, as no transliteration is required.

Thank you for any and all help

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Eugene

I recommend using the "Abbreviation" field for the transliteration of the name:

81e19bdd507e00a762129b95305c4113

In this case you can attach this script to the "Author" component. It ensures that when an author is mentioned repeatedly, the contents of the "Abbreviation" field are used instead of the "Name" field.

The Citavi manual describes how to create a programmed component.

In the Citavi manual you can also find a video that shows how to create ibid conditions.

All the best

Lee

photo

Thank you so much, but would this cause a situation in which two English papers, written by the same author, would have the second paper, which should have the author's name in English still (as it has yet to be referenced), to change it to the Hebrew name in the Abbreviation?

photo

Hi Eugene,

I have created an example style (only for journal articles in footnotes). Is it this you are looking for?

All the best

Lee

photo

Thanks so much, I will test it out

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach file (NO confidential documents!)