Urgent: I need to know how to make 'author' appear for a collected work

Elin D. shared this question 24 days ago
Answered

I have to cite a lot of chapters for books. AS chapters. To be able to add for instance an 'Introduction' written by one author to a novel written by another, I have previously been told to use the category 'collected work'. That works fine. Except: when I cite the 'contribution', the 'Author' for the collected work itself is left out.

This is what I get:

[1] Richard Rorty, ‘Introduction’, in Pale Fire, Everyman's library, 67 (London: David Campbell, 1992 (1962)), pp. vii–xix.

What I need is (change in bold):

[1] Richard Rorty, ‘Introduction’, in Vladimir Nabokov, Pale Fire, Everyman's library, 67 (London: David Campbell, 1992 (1962)), pp. vii–xix.

This also affects the bibliography. Collected works do not come up with an author, or as part of the list of references by that author (sorted alphabetically by title). If I add the author's name as the 'Editor' for the collected works's name, the bibliography problems is (kind of) resolved, but in the running text, using the example above, it would now say edited by Nabokov, which is of course not right at all.

Please help! And it's a bit urgent... I need to submit my PhD thesis very soon! :)

Oh and my style is MHRA.

Best, Elin

Comments (9)

photo

Hi Elin,

Are you using MHRA (notes) 3rd ed?

Kind regards,

Lee

photo

Dear Elin,

Thanks for your questions.

We have just published the corrected version of the style "MHRA (notes) 3rd ed". Please restart Citavi if you are connected to the Internet so that Citavi can download the new style version from our server to your computer. Thank you for pointing out the problem.

For other users with a similar problem: You can proceed as follows:

1. Open your citation style using the citation style editor, see manual.
  2. Switch to the reference type in question ("Contribution in collected work", for example).
  3. In the Footnote rule set click Inherited from: Contribution in edited book and click Don't inherit. Drag the missing author component from the lower part of the list of components on the left side.
  4. Repeat the steps for the Bibliography rule set.
  5. Save the modified citation style.

To use the style in Word: On the Citavi ribbon, click the name of the currently selected Citation style. Select your modified Citation style.

https://www1.citavi.com/sub/manual6/en/101_creating_a_publication_with_word-04.png

Best regards

Susanne

photo

Thanks. But this does not work for me still. I have closed, reopened, and refreshed. WHat can I do now? Help...

photo

Dear Elin,

Thank you for your reply.

In order to determine the cause of the problem, we kindly ask you to send us a sample document (max. 3 pages). First, please link a new Word document to your Citavi project and select your citation style, and second, please insert via the Word Add-In only those references which have given you problems.

Please send us the Word document via our website at http://www.citavi.com/transfer. Under Message, please enter the following ticket number: #174594.

If you are using a self-created citation style, we kindly ask you to send us this file, too. You can find the corresponding file in your Documents folder under \Citavi 6\Custom Citation Styles (for Citavi 6).

Best regards

Susanne

photo

Dear Elin,

Thank you for your test document.

We have just published the corrected version of the style. Please restart Citavi if you are connected to the Internet so that Citavi can download the new style version from our server to your computer. Thank you for pointing out the problem.

In order to get "Richard Rorty, ‘Introduction’, in Vladimir Nabokov,...", you would need to add a contribution to the collected work. It works analogously to contributions in edited books:

https://www1.citavi.com/sub/manual6/en/index.html?101_adding_a_contribution_in_an_edited_book.html

https://www1.citavi.com/sub/manual6/en/index.html?adding_a_multivolume_work.html

Best regards

Susanne

photo

Ok, I will try now. Yeah, the Nabkov book I changed to 'Book' when I discovered this problem to try to work around it, so if that was in my example file, it was by mistake.

Thanks!

photo

Hi Elin,

Thank you so much for writing back.

I'm glad to hear that I could help you.

Best regards

Susanne

photo

Just to let you know, it didn't work. I had to make a static document and manually correct. But my doctoral thesis is submitted! :)

Thanks

photo

Hi Elin,

Thank you for your reply.

On our end, I could not reproduce the issue any longer. To make sure that no old version interferes, you can remove the citation style and then add it again. If you still receive an unexpected outcome on your side, we need a new test document.

All my best for your the grade and the defense of your doctoral thesis!

Best regards

Susanne

Leave a Comment

Attach file (NO confidential documents!)