Citavi on MacBook or other alternative

Hendrik v. shared this question 7 months ago
Answered

I'm using Citavi for some time on my home Windows PC. I love it! I recently got a M1 MacBook Air, because I need to work on location more often. I write medical public health articles and use Microsoft Word together with Citavi.

I never considered that Citavi cannot run on a Mac. I'm surprised it's not supported considering the large prevalence of MacBooks.

My question:

What did you do? Why? And does it work without problems?

• Stop using Citavi and looking for a new reference manager? (suggestions?)
  • Buying a licence for Parallels Desktop (note: currently not supporting M1 processor) and a licence for Windows and using this method?
  • Using Citavi Web? (but is it already usable?)

Thank you.

Best Answer
photo

Hi Hendrik,

Thanks for your message.

Citavi Web (which will work on all operating systems) is currently in Beta test phase.

If you need to work on your Mac now, and a virtual machine is no option for you, we explain here how to export your references.

Kind regards,

Jana

Comments (2)

photo

I solved it. Zotero is a good alternative and can be used on Mac and Windows. It seems to run on 2020 M1 MacBooks.

I do favor Citavi and have used it for years, but Zotero being cross-platform is a need. I hope Citavi will invest in Mac and Web support one day.

photo

Hi Hendrik,

Thanks for your message.

Citavi Web (which will work on all operating systems) is currently in Beta test phase.

If you need to work on your Mac now, and a virtual machine is no option for you, we explain here how to export your references.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Hello Jana,

Thank you for your reply. Happy to read you are working on some kind of cross platform support. If it’s available I will definitely try it out

Fortunately I have no open projects at the moment, so, I don’t need to export references at the moment.

Edit: Citavi Web Beta looks promising! :D

Kind regards,

Hendrik

photo

Hi Jana

Just for your information. Macbooks built with the new M1 chip are based on ARM architecture and therefore don't support virtual machines until now. So that won't work for us.

Kind regards,

Micha

photo

Hi Micha,

Thanks for your comment.

It is true that Apple’s new chips don't let you use Windows yet.

If you do not have access to another computer with Windows, Citavi Web Beta is worth a look: https://www.citavi.com/en/citavi-web-beta

Kind regards,

Jana

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach file (NO confidential documents!)