In Word Office, some in-text citations are lost after the paper is saved as plain text

Zi shared this question 6 months ago
Need Answer

When my paper is finalized in Word, I want to clear the field code. In Word add-in, save a copy as static text (with hyperlinks). However, when I open the Word file in plain text format, I find that some in-text citations are missing, but the references at the end are not lost. If I use save a copy as static text, the in-text citations are not lost, it's all there. What's going on? Can it be solved?

Comments (1)

photo

Hi Zi,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please let me know the version of Citavi you’re using? The four-digit version number of the Citavi version you have installed can be found in the "Help" > "About Citavi" menu or in the left lower corner on your Citavi Welcome screen.

As we could not reproduce the issue with a sample Word document, kindly send us your file with active Citavi fields.

To transfer the files, please use our secure upload service

https://www.citavi.com/transfer

So that we can match the files to the issue, please include the ticket ID # 156808

Thanks and kind regards,

Jana

photo

Hi,I have sent the document to you. Please check it carefully. In-text citations in paper will be lost randomly when save a copy as static text (with hyperlinks).

Citavi version 6.7.0.0

(You can try to save as plain text many times, because it is random loss, so sometimes in-text citations will be lost, and sometimes it will not be lost.)

photo

Hi Zi,

Thank you for your Word file.

After converting the fields to plain text with hyperlinks, all 5 references were still listed in the text and in the bibliography.

Have you been using "track changes" in Word?

Which Word version are your using?

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Hi Jana B.

My Word version is 365mso (16.0.13426.20270 32bits). Loss is random, sometimes it will be lost, sometimes it will not. Now I try to find that it is not lost, but I do encounter the situation of loss. The first two times I lost references when I first started using it(save a copy as static text (with hyperlinks)), and then I tested it many more times and the loss was almost non-existent, so it may be difficult to reproduce the problem, and you can make a note of it if it happens to more people in the future so that you can sort it out.

photo

Hi Zi,

Thanks for lettings us know that this has only happend sometimes.

Do you use other add-ins in Word?

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

HI,Other word add in are shown in the figure

/4638c6b45c36769ea63cedb14646023a

AxMath. dotm

Baidu netdisk word addin

Citavi Word Add-In 6.7.0.0

CitaviWordAddin docm

EndNote(Cwyw Citation Recognizer)

End Note cite While you write

EndNote Cwywdotm

Microsoft Word manuscript wizard add in

Microsoft word calligraphy add in

Zotero.dotm

Phone number (XML)

Unit of Measure Converter

Instant messaging contacts (English)

Date (XML)

Youdao word translation plug-in

photo

Hi Zi,

Thank you very much for your screenshot.

We will take a closer look at the issue and your other installed add-ons.

I am glad that you could now save a version of your Word documents with active hyperlinks and all cited references.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Hi, Jana B.

The word file I sent you earlier can be used as a reference. Because I also inserted those few references and saved them as plain text(save a copy as static text (with hyperlinks)). I just changed the text of the paper.

Or you can randomly write some words in Word, insert some citations randomly and save a copy as static text (with hyperlinks). Because that's what I do.

(Now I'm sending you a Word file with missing references( by saveing a copy as static text (with hyperlinks)). I've inserted five, but it's missing three, I sent to this website, https://www.citavi.com/transfer, the ticket ID # 156808, please check.)

photo

Hi Zi,

Thank you very much for your file. In it, not only references were lost, but entire text passages.

As we could never reproduce the issue, we were wondering if you could send us a log file from the Word Add-In? This will help us better find the source of the error.

To create the log, please follow the steps shown here:

https://www1.citavi.com/sub/manual6/en/index.html?finding_bugs_in_word_add_in.html

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Hi Jana B.

This word file has nothing to do with the previously sent word file, only the in-text citation is lost, and the paper text is not lost. It's just using it to make it clear that citations in the text can be lost by accident.

In addition, I have generated the activity log according to your steps, and successfully reproduced this problem. This time, I inserted 5 references, the first of which was lost. I will send this word file to this website, https://www.citavi.com/transfer. and the information notes are still the same as before:the ticket ID # 156808

photo

Hi Zi,

Thank you for the clarification and your log file.

While we are analyzing it, could you please temporarily deactivate your further Word Add-ins in Word and check if this improves the situation?

Thank you for your patience and support.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Hi Jana B,

I disabled other plug-ins and only enabled the Citavi word add-in. Five references were inserted and then saved a copy as static text (with hyperlinks), and two in-text citations were lost. And generated an activity log again, I hope it can help you. I will still send the Word file to the previous website, please check.

(The loss of citations may be random or accidental, sometimes it's all reserved, sometimes it's lost.)

Best wishes,

Zi

photo

Hi Zi,

Thank you for your further tests, log files and documents! We appreciate all your support in finding the cause of this error.

As we still cannot reproduce it on our test systems, we have now contacted our partner in China (to make sure that the language of the operating system is not related to it).

Thanks for your ongoing patience.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach file (NO confidential documents!)