Citation count ("cited by ...") besides reference

David P. shared this question 7 months ago
Need Answer

I think one of the most important functions of a reference software is to help you distinguish between relevant and irrelevant references. What is missing to organize references more efficiently is an indication of relevance, e.g., through an overall citation count for each reference. I know this would be a lot of work to scrape the data somehow from databases such as scopus or google scholar. But I think it would really help to have some indicator on the relevance of a reference. Alternatively maybe it would be helpful if the star evaluation could be shown besides every reference, so that there would be at least a manual workaround to add this additional information.

Comments (5)

photo

Hi David,

Thank you very much for your suggestion!

Estimating the relevance of academic work is a field of research on its own. Databases like the Web of Science track among others the citation frequency of a paper.

If the citation frequency really is an indicator for relevance of a work is widely discussed.

Citavi does not offer an option to import information like the Impact factor as there is no export available by the database providers.

You could use a custom field to enter the values manually.

Additonally, you can rate references individually with stars and add your evalutation to the "Overview" tab.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Dear Jana,

Thank you very much for your immediate and helpful reply! I know, that citation frequency is a very rough and disputable way to assess relevance, but the best and unified approach we have so far.

It's very unfortunate that the main databases do not provide this information. Hopefully this will change in the future. The main problem might be that this is a dynamic rather than a static property of the reference, which would make it useless to integrate this information in any standardized documentation format such as RIS.

Thank you for the suggestion with the overview tab. However, I think the documentation in the link you have sent is not right anymore. In the overview tab there is no field "Customize overview", instead you can do this by opening the overview tab and click View > Customize overview... (Citavi 6). Maybe the documentation should be updated here.

In general, it would be great if there would be any way to integrate this rating (star) functionality or additional information into the references depiction in the reference list. When working with BibTeX there are BibTeX keys created that are shown at the bottom of each reference in the reference list (by the way, how can I deactivate them?). Thus, there could be a way to put an additional field in there. Maybe this is not too difficult to implement.

Thanks for your support!

All the best,

David

photo

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply!

You should see the option to customize the Overview here at the bottom:

/59d80b41f0fb5971e81f2facf3666c3f

I have added your suggestion to show your rating in the reference list to our internal list of suggestions.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Dear Jana,

Sorry, my bad. I have not seen the field down there (I have a large screen). Was looking for it for a long time.

Thank you very much for putting it on the list of suggestions. However, the suggestion would be better if its not limited to the rating function but more a general feature: That you have a field under each reference in the reference list that you could customize (not in the reference list itself but you could change what of your reference information is shown in this field). With this approach you could for example show the citation count under each reference (or the associated; groups, number of associated knowledge items; keywords etc.).

All the best,

David

photo

Hi David,

No problem!

Yes, we know about many users with individual suggestions about how to change the list of references to their needs.

They are all listed under the topic "Customize reference list".

Best regards,

Jana

Leave a Comment

Attach file (NO confidential documents!)