how to wrap text when previewing txt files?

Albert S. shared this question 2 months ago
Answered

Hi,

Many of my files are in txt format and when I am trying to preview them and make notes, I found the line does not break at the window margin but continues until it finnally ends:

/49d5334047a06b87f6c6c6ec316c3af9

I tried to make it more readable but without any success.

Is there any way to wrap the text according to the size of the window like this:

/1ae08af9cbeb1834d758b40cd0b47b7b

Best Answer
photo

Hi Albert

Thank you for pointing this out. We've investigated the issue but I'm afraid there is currently neither a solution nor a good workaround. Citavi uses the standard Windows HTML viewer to display HTML and text files in the preview.

This Windows component still is nothing else but the rather dated Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) which apparently won't word wrap text files (see e.g. here https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/31cc0c11-0ce0-4626-b276-0b9a0a2176b0/ie11-plain-text-documents-and-wordwrapping).

If you don't want to make notes, you can right click into the preview pane and select "Show source code". This will open Windows Notepad, which in turn can do word wrap.

The best workaround for making notes in Citavi I can offer is printing the txt file into a PDF document and adding this PDF to your reference.

Kind regards

Sebastian

Comments (1)

photo

Hi Albert

Thank you for pointing this out. We've investigated the issue but I'm afraid there is currently neither a solution nor a good workaround. Citavi uses the standard Windows HTML viewer to display HTML and text files in the preview.

This Windows component still is nothing else but the rather dated Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) which apparently won't word wrap text files (see e.g. here https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/31cc0c11-0ce0-4626-b276-0b9a0a2176b0/ie11-plain-text-documents-and-wordwrapping).

If you don't want to make notes, you can right click into the preview pane and select "Show source code". This will open Windows Notepad, which in turn can do word wrap.

The best workaround for making notes in Citavi I can offer is printing the txt file into a PDF document and adding this PDF to your reference.

Kind regards

Sebastian