Saving Citavi annotations in the PDF

ElSayed M. shared this question 3 months ago
Need Answer

Hi,

I read my PDFs in Citavi as much as I do in other PDF readers. I want my Citavi annotations in the PDF to display while reading in another program (and vice versa).

I try to activate the "Always Save Annotations in the PDF File" option. However, when I turn into the Attachment tap in the project properties, I find "Save all attachments locally (for working offline)". After downloading the files, I still cannot find how to save Citavi annotations in the PDF files.

Comments (6)

photo

Hi ElSayed,

Thank you for your question and your link to the Citavi 5 manual. Please find the instructions for Citavi 6 here.

You cannot find this option in Citavi as you are working with a cloud project. This option is only available for local projects.

For cloud project, all annotations are saved in our cloud, the PDFs are not saved on your computer.

To save a copy of the PDFs with annotations on your computer, please export your PDF annotations individually.

Please note that only the highlights will be exported to the PDF, not the content of your knowledge items.

To export them too, please create a compilation of all knowledge items of the reference.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Thanks Jana. That's a bit helpful. The pending question is, can I export the PDF(s) with Citavi annotations and the other already existing annotations (highlighting especially)?

When I follow the steps about exporting annotations, Citavi does not give me option 4 "Select whether Citavi should save annotations...". Is that also because I am working with cloud projects?

photo

Hi ElSayed,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you can export the PDFs with the highlights you created in Citavi.

Therefore, in the Citavi preview, please click Tools > Export PDF annotations > Browse [choose the location where to save the downloaded PDF]

In the downloaded PDF file, you can now see the annotation you have created in Citavi. If you open the PDF in your PDF reader and create new annotations in the other software, you would have to upload the PDF file again to your Citavi project to see these new PDF reader annotations in Citavi.

This means, that you are not working with the same PDF file but a copy of it.

For your reading workflow with external PDF readers, we recommend reading the PDF with the external reader first and importing it in Citavi later. You can then import your external annotations as knowledge items in Citavi.

If you want to work with the same PDF file in Citavi and your external PDF reader interchangeably, we recommend using a local Citavi project instead.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Thanks Jana, I still miss an tiny thing: when I export the PDF annotations, the downloaded PDF has ONLY the Citavi annotations. Other annotations made by other PDF readers, especially highlightings, disappeared while exporting the file. Is there a way to fix this? If I am using a local project, these annotations will be saved after exporting the file you mean?

photo

Hi ElSayed,

When did you create the annotations in your other PDF readers?

Before you have added the PDF to Citavi or afterwards?

Any annotations you add to the PDF after you have added it to your Citavi cloud project, will not be saved in the PDF in the Citavi Cloud.

They are therefore not included in the downloaded PDF. They are only temporarily saved in the cached PDF. This PDF in your PC's cache (and your annotations with external PDF readers) will be deleted if you log off from your Citavi account.

Please only create annotations in Citavi PDFs with external PDF readers if you are working with a local project. The files are then saved in your "Citavi Attachements" folder on your computer.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Thank you. That's much more clear and helpful.