How to export a citavi project to citavi including empty categories?

Francesco R. shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Hello,

I am trying to export a citavi project to another citavi project.

In order to do this, I go to the first citavi project, select "Export" > "To Another Citavi Project" > then I check "All references", "Copy", chose the destination project, tick "Do not copy ... referneces with the same ID" and "Switch destination project...".

In the following window I leave all fields ticked > then "Finish".

In the "receiving" project, however, i only get the categories that contain a reference or knowledge item. Is there a way to receive also all the categories that are currently not "used" in the previous project, because they don't have a reference or knowledge item?

Thanks!

Francesco.

Replies (4)

photo

Hello Francesco,

we have added this function to our internal wish-list, to be improved for future versions.

Your solution for now would be, to create a fake reference in your first citavi project, for example a book with the title "ALL EMPTY CATEGORIES".

Assign it to every "empty" category within your project. After that, you can export the references to the other project as done before. In the "receiving" project, you delete the fake reference and your categories are displayed as in the original project. Sorry for that workaround.

Best regards

Anne

photo

Thanks Anne. Ok, I see the logic of how this could work. How can I quickly assign the book to all categories however? I probably have more than 50 nested categories and sub-categories. Is there a workaround for that?

photo

Hello Francesco,

we discussed that in our team. One of my colleagues suggested this solution:

Instead of exporting all references and categories to the new project, you could import the categories to the receiving project first:

https://www1.citavi.com/sub/manual6/en/index.html?importing_and_exporting_categories.html

Important: Do not copy any references before importing the categories, otherwise the order of your categories might get lost.

After importing the categories successfully, you can copy the references to the receiving project.

Best regards

Anne

photo

Ok, thanks. I added the dummy file (1st solution) manually, it seemed simpler and less risky. It would be good for Citavi to fix this - just as an option in the export menu - as it shouldn't be so complicated. Thanks for your help!

Leave a Comment

Attach file (NO confidential documents!)