Wrong Reference order in word

Nima J. shared this question 56 days ago
Need Answer

I have added a reference in Office Word with aid of Citavi add-in at the beginning of a text, but it shows reference number [2]! [1] comes after [3] and [4]!

I would be thankful if you can help me with this problem.

Regards,

Nima

Comments (1)

photo

Dear Nima,

Thank you for your message.

Which citation style did you choose in your Word document? Some styles do not include the numbers in the order cited but according to the sort order of the bibliography.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Dear Jana,

Thanks for your reply. I am using Springer (Vancouver) style. The style includes the numbers in the cited order. The problem is related to just this reference (First reference). There are more than 30 references in the text.

Regards,

Nima

photo

Dear Nima,

Thank you for your reply.

Your styles inserts reference numbers indeed in the order cited.

Was the first reference inserted inside a Word frame or text box?

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

It is in the text. In the main body of the article, in Introduction section. There is not any text box.

Regards,

Nima

photo

Dear Nima,

Do you use the Word feature to track changes? Please accept all changes in your Word document and click "Refresh" on the "Citavi" tab in Word.

In case this should still not display the reference number correctly, kindly send us your Word document.

To transfer the files, please use our secure upload service

https://www.citavi.com/transfer

So that we can match the files to the issue, please include the ticket ID # 138317 in the message field of the upload form.

We will treat the files confidentially and delete them immediately once the investigation is complete.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Dear Jana,

I have found the problem. I am writing about it here that it may help others. Citations inside the text boxes in Office Word are not considered in a normal sequence of the numbering by Citavi. You may not use a text box when you need to insert a citation in it. I hope Citavi can fix this problem in the next versions.

Regards,

Nima

photo

Dear Nima,

Thank you for your solution that text boxes caused the problem after all.

Word does not allow any kind of fields inside text boxes.

Unfortunately, we cannot change this behavior.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo