Quotations from Webpages are not saved

ElSayed M. shared this question 26 days ago
Need Answer

Hi,

I try to copy quotations from a web page, however, the quotations do not display.

The popped-up picker's window installs for a long time. After displaying that the quotation is added, I cannot find the quotations added to the references on my Citavi (cloud) project! I use the current Beta version (6.4.5) I tried to re-download the last Citavi update (6.4), it does not work. Do I have to uninstall the current Beta version or how to fix this problem?

Comments (13)

photo

If I might add another thing, the Picker doesn't extract the PDFs automatically. I checked 'download PDFs automatically' in the settings of the picker, however it does not add them from the webpages which have PDF files. When I open the PDF itself, with the right-click, the picker options display "add webpages" not add PDF as reference. Clicking on the Citavi sign on the chrome extension extract the PDF only if i open the PDF page, and it take like a minute or two to load. How can I fix that?

photo

Hi ElSayed,

Could you please send me a link of a webpage where a text passage could not be added as quotation to your project?

The PDF article can only be downloaded automatically from some databases, please see the list here. We additionally offer the option to create an automatic screenshot for many news sites.

For other websites, please create a screenshot of the website manually.

If you want to add a PDF article you have found online, please open the online PDF in Chrome and add it to your project.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Thanks Jana,

Here is an example of a webpage in which the text can't be added to my project.

Best,

photo

Hi ElSayed,

Thank you for the link.

This website should not cause any problems.

How exactly did you import the quotation? Have you first already imported the website and selected it as your current reference in your project?

Or did you import the reference and the quotation at the same time (by clicking "Add reference and add selection")?

Did you use the Citavi Picker in the context menu or the Picker Panel on the right hand side?

Thanks for your help in locating the cause of the problem.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Hi Jana,

I literally did everything. First I imported the website and then selected the quotation to be imported to my current reference in your project (and opened the reference on my cloud project simultaneously!). Similarly with other quotations from the same page. By checking Citavi after I finished reading, I was surprised that there are no quotations there.

Then I imported the reference and the quotation at the same time (by clicking "Add reference and add selection"), a new reference was created, duplicating the other one I already have, and the selections were not there. I tried both: the Citavi Picker and the Picker Panel. In both cases, the picker shows that "the selected text is on its way to Citavi". Additionally, I tried to add a selection from the same webpage as an abstract and I found out it did not work as well.

Now, I tried to do the same thing, adding quotations and abstracts from other webpages, and it did not work as well.

Let me know.

ElSayed

photo

Hi ElSayed,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you first please check that "Current desktop project" is selected in the Picker Panel? Please see this section of our video.

When you are adding a quotation with the Picker, a new Citavi window should open up for the quotation which you have to save first. Might this window have opened in the background?

In case you could not see a new window, kindly create a log file of your steps for us:

1. Click on the Picker icon in the menu bar of the browser.
  2. Click on the Gear icon.
  3. Activate the option "Create activity log".
  4. Click on the Picker icon in the menu bar of the browser
  5. Repeat the steps that did not lead to the desired success so far.
  6. Click on the Picker icon in the menu bar of the browser.
  7. Click the Gear symbol.
  8. Deactivate the "Create activity log" option.
  9. An error report form will now appear in a new browser window
  10. Please fill in your e-mail address .
  11. Please enter this ticket number in the text field below: 135473
  12. This animation shows how to record problems with PDF files in Firefox: https://www.screencast.com/t/EAHeNGwKpoPA

Thank you and kind regards,

Jana

photo

Hi Jana,

I was not checking "Current desktop project". It was my web project, as I only have cloud projects. Maybe that was the cause of the problem? I tried after, adding quotations worked out, only when the desktop (cloud) project is opened. Otherwise, it does not work. Maybe there is no need to do such steps now?!

Thank you.

photo

Hi ElSayed,

Thanks for the good news that saving quotations works now after you have selected your current desktop project in the Picker panel. I have informed my colleague about the current problem with closed cloud projects.

There is no need to create a log file anymore.

Kind regards and thanks for lettings us know about the problem,

Jana

photo

Hi ElSayed,

The import of references and quotations should now work again also for cloud projects which are selected in the Picker panel. You can now use the Picker again when Citavi is closed.

Thanks again and best regards,

Jana

photo

Dear Jana,

It still does not work for me if I am choosing a cloud project. The new Citavi window of the selected quotation does not open up once I select some words for example. It works only for extracting/sending the references from the webpage. Adding equation, abstract, table of content, etc does not work.

Best,

ElSayed

photo

Dear ElSayed,

Thank you for your test. I am sorry that it is not working yet.

Would you please install the current beta version Citavi 6.4.7, which can be downloaded at http://www.citavi.com/beta

Does it work with this version?

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Hi Jana,

It works! Finally!

Thanks,

ElSayed

photo

Hi ElSayed,

Great, thanks a lot for the good news!

All the best,