A Separating arange greater than two references by a hyphen.

saleh a. shared this question 31 days ago
Need Answer

Dear Citavi Team,

My target journal requires that references should be cited in the text using sequential numbers. A range greater than two references should be separated by a hyphen. Citavi actually supports my target journal's referencing guidelines but it is not separating the range greater than two references by a hyphen . Can you please help me to find a solution for this issue.

Thank you very much!

Saleh

Comments (9)

photo

Dear Saleh,

Thank you for your message.

To achieve your goal, please edit your citation style:

1. Delete the brackets around the component "Index in the bibliography", which you have probably realized as a combined component so far. You will find the component "Index in the bibliography" in the Unkown reference type.

2. Place the brackets as single text elements before and after the component "Index in the bibliography" instead.

Save the changes you have made to the style and also select it on the "Citavi" tab in your Word document.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Dear Jana,

Thank you very much for your answer. There are no brackets around the component "Index in bibliography"!

I don't know what could be the solution for this issue. I hope you can help me!

Best regards,

Saleh

photo

Dear Saleh,

Kindly let me know which citation style you have selected in your Word document.

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Dear Jana,

The citation style is the one of the Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy.

Thanks, Saleh

photo

Dear Saleh,

Thank you for your reply.

This style does indeed not use any brackets with the index number.

On the "Citations" tab of the Word Add-in, can you see that the references were inserted as multiple citation? Please see screenshot:

/acd3c864908756d7e5838ff39ba3542e

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Thank you Jana!

No! The references on the citation tab of the Word file are just listed vertically as single citations.

Best, Saleh

photo

Dear Saleh,

Thank you for your reply.

The rules of the style (that reference numbers are displayed in format 1-3) only work when the references have been inserted as multiple citation.

As it is unfortunately not possible yet to create a multiple citation automatically out of single citations, please insert the references again following the steps of this video (min 01:39).

Kind regards,

Jana

photo

Dear Jana,

Thank you very much for your advise! I could solve the problem!

Best, saleh

photo

Dear Saleh,

Thanks for the good news!

Best regards,

Jana