When you open Word, the Citavi tab is displayed. However, on the Citavi ribbon the Citavi pane button is unavailable.
If the Citavi tab is not displayed, please try the solutions in this article.
Please click the box containing the cause and solution you want to explore.
You either downloaded the file from the internet or opened it from an email. By default, Word displays the file in protected view.
Click Enable Editing in the yellow bar at the top of Word
If the file is saved on a network drive or server, add the file path to the list of trusted locations in Word's Trust Center:
File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Trusted Locations > Add new location
Save the file as a .docx file.
- On the File menu, select Save as.
- On the Save as type drop-down menu, select Word Document (*.docx).
- Close the document and open it again.
In Word the CitaviWordAddIn.docm template was disabled and is now appearing in the Word options in the Inactive Applications Add-ins list. As a result, the Citavi Word Add-In is unavailable.
- In Word, click File > Options > Add-Ins.
- In the Manage drop-down menu, select Disabled Items and then click Go. Select CitaviWordAddIn.docm and click Enable.
- Restart Word.
You can tell if this is the cause if all of the following apply:
- The Word Add-In appears in gray
- Save as no longer works
- On the Citavi ribbon About Citavi doesn't work
- If the VPA editor is opened by pressing Alt+F11 the error message "Visual Basic Error 5097" is displayed
This problem can occur with a late-2018 update to Windows 10 and certain regions, for example "English (Switzerland)".
- In the Windows Search enter Regional & Language Settings.
- Click Additional date, time, & regional settings and then click Change location.
- On the Formats tab, click the Format dropdown menu and then select English (United Kingdom) or English (United States).
You are working in an organization in which security settings are managed centrally. Your system administrator disabled the ability to run any add-in through group policy.
If you can only work with the Citavi Word Add-In when you start Word with administrator rights, it's very likely that your organization has disabled this setting. In the Word options in the Trust Center, you will also be able to see that the Disable all Application Add-ins (may impair functionality) option is enabled and appears in gray.
Ask your IT department to undo the following setting: User Configuration > Policies > Administrative templates > Microsoft Word 2016 > Word Options > Security > Trust Center > Disable all application add-ins.