Citavi Beta 6.3.17 Now Available
A new Citavi 6 beta version is now available for testing.
DO NOT USE WITH WINDOWS 7
Download Citavi Beta 6.3.17 (2020-01-28)
What is a beta version?
There is no such thing as software without errors and that applies to Citavi as well.
As soon as we find and eliminate bugs, we make a new beta version available to our users. While it is generally considered complete, it is still not ready for an official release until it is tested in real-life scenarios.
Who should install beta versions?
If the bugs listed below have affected your day-to-day usage of Citavi, we recommend that you install the beta version, as long as you have administrator rights on your computer that let you install software on your own. In an organizational setting this is often not the case.
How can you share feedback while trying out the beta?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or create a new post in our forum.
What happens to your projects and Word documents?
Nothing at all! When you install a new beta version or update, only the files needed to run the program are changed. Installing beta versions or updates does not affect your Citavi projects, Word documents, or settings.
How do you know when the beta phase ends and an update is available?
Once the official update is available, you will see a notification in Citavi on the Welcome Screen.
Citavi also automatically checks for updates every time it is launched, as long as there is an active internet connection. If an update is available, Citavi will offer to download and install it. You will see a notification in the upper-right corner and will need to exit and restart Citavi for changes to take effect. If you were working with a beta version, we recommend installing the update so that you are working with the most current Citavi version.
- Cloud technology used for the communication between the server and desktop client proved to be unreliable under certain circumstances (see report). In the next update to Citavi 6.4, we'll be using another method to ensure higher availability of our cloud server.
- Citavi can now also search the full-text of all ePub files that were uploaded to a cloud project as an attachment.
The Picker Family
If you were previously working with Citavi Beta 6.3.6 or 6.3.11, you can skip this section.
The new Picker for Firefox and Chrome is now available for beta testing.
To use the new Picker, you will first need to install Citavi Beta 6.3.17. The Picker will be installed along with Citavi in the Citavi 6.4 release version.
If you are using Chrome, you don't need to do anything. The new Picker will be automatically installed.
If you are using Firefox, install Citavi 6.3.17 and then do the following:
- Enter about:addons in the Firefox address bar.
- Next to Citavi Picker click Disable.
- Click here to load the beta version of the Citavi Picker.
- Click Allow, and then click Add.
- Open any webpage.
- In the upper-right corner of Firefox, click the Picker symbol.
- Log in to your Citavi Account so that you can also add content to your cloud projects.
- When restoring unsaved changes using a Changemap file, category associations were not restored correctly.
- When creating a project copy, the information on which of the attachments was the main document was lost.
- Duplicating a reference with an attachment led to the creation of an empty location.
- BibTeX keys could not be changed if references were duplicated.
- After converting a local project to a cloud project, the temporarily moved PDFs were not deleted.
- The last changes made to a cloud project were deleted if the user logged out of Citavi while working in offline mode.
- The automatic annotation export led to an error in the PDFTron component.
- Exported RIS files contained invalid hyperlinks to attachments that were in a cloud project and not yet saved locally.
- Metadata from PDF files was not imported fully if the document came from the IEEE database.
- During a PDF import, Citavi could not recognize the DOI name if it was in square brackets.
- In a complex category system, the grouping by category did not work correctly.
- The "More" dialog on the Welcome Screen was not displayed if the window was displayed in full screen mode.
- After Citavi was restarted, cloud projects no longer appeared in the list of recently opened projects.
- Local projects that were set as read-only in Windows could not be opened.
- The use of asterisks while searching "Thoughts" did not work correctly.
- If a PDF file was password-protected, the Citavi preview displayed an incorrect error message that the file was potentially corrupted.
- Saving a copy of a GitHub page as a PDF led to a black PDF.
- The Citavi preview could no longer display the content of a Word file during a session if previously a password-protected Word file was opened in the preview
- The feature "Remove formatting" inserted an extra space at the end of the text.
- The manual sorting of knowledge items was reset each time Citavi was restarted.
- If the UI was displayed in Polish, the search for a new citation style did not display any results.
- The path to local attachments did not work properly if an environment variable for a Onedrive, Dropbox or other cloud drive folder was used.
- The automatic suppression of "ibid" on a new page was ignored if the new page was created by a paragraph change with an empty page .
- In a Word file with more than 3,000 footnotes, Citavi would throw a VBA error.
- Changes to the hanging index in the Word style "Citavi Bibliography Entry" were not saved.
Citation Style Editor
- Built-in conditions that were based on the position of a single citation within a multiple citation did not work correctly.
- Disambiguation rules caused "et al" to appear even if only one author was replaced in an ambiguous multiple-author citation.
- Multiple citations containing the same author did not suppress the author name if a component containing the elements "Original publication" and "Year derived" was used.
- If the "[In Press]" placeholder was used, disambiguation rules were not applied.
- Name ambiguity checks were optimized through additional attributes to better adhere to APA rules for the addition of initials and first names.
Citavi for DBServer
- If a role was changed from "Author" to "Reader" the DBServer project no longer appeared on the Welcome Screen.